destination wedding featured

Mr and Mrs Khunou

5/16/2016Zelna

This was the wedding we have been waiting for…

My husband introduced Tshidi and I to each other. He knew that we had both started professional photography and used Sony cameras. It was our shared love for photography that formed an immediate friendship.  


We shot my first wedding together like a glove and hand fitting perfectly. This was our working relationship. Right from the beginning, we were in sync. Simple things like knowing where to stand and how to shoot can take years to learn. Somehow, we knew where to be and how to move. We were never in each other’s shots. Wedding photography can be very stressful, but we had fun. We compared what we took and Tshidi always looked with great enthusiasm and encouragement at my photographs. In the early days, I needed a lot of help. Sometimes I was just stuck. Then he would lean over and lift my flash so that it bounced light exactly the right way and I ended up with beautiful photographs. We were a great team.


When Tshidi started working full time, it was hard for me to find the right photographer to replace him. I was reluctant to ask anyone and I still am.  In the proceeding years, I have tried other photographers and I was hopelessly disappointed. Since he left, I’ve really never had another photographer I can work with.  I’m still looking for the Tshidi-like photographer that can fill his shoes. 

 


We are what you call photographer friends. We speak photography and we follow each other’s work. Over the years, Tshidi’s personal facebook page changed a little. I kept seeing this beautiful blonde girl in his images, and she kept popping up on his newsfeed. Then he ended up in Switzerland with her. Like a loyal friend, I followed their journey. Maybe I’m a bit slow as I thought, “Okay, so she’s not just a friend, she must be more.” (I know – this girl can be slow). However, in my defense, Tshidi has a lot of friends and he always makes them feel special. BUT, this one got the VIP treatment, although I didn’t ask why.

Not long after the Switzerland trip, I got a call. Tshidi announced he was engaged and that he would like me to be one of the photographers at his wedding. I was floored that he would ask me. Immediately, my heart was overwhelmed with emotion. I could not believe it. It’s a great honour when another photographer asks you to capture their life-changing day. 


The weeks built up and I got to meet Madeleine for the first time at our official client-photographer meeting.  She was gracious and beautiful. One thing I remember was her great admiration and love for Tshidi and the smile on his face was priceless. He was self-assured, had deep confidence. He truly knows that “she is the one.” Getting to know Tshidi on our long trips, I knew he would not marry just any girl. He needs someone who understands him and loves his craft. With this in place, it is a perfect match. 

The couple hosted their guests in Botswana, a truly scenic country. The day had no hiccups. Everything went as planned; there was no rush, only a sense of ease and calm. I also think the Botswana people posses this naturally. 

It was a beautiful ceremony filled with joyful tears. When Tshidi saw his bride the rush of emotion and joy to his heart was tangible. He shed honest tears as he looked upon his bride who possesses beauty and grace. 







The ceremony was filled with joyful tears, long-engaged glances, awe of each other and a beautiful blessing spoken on their unity. There was also laughter, encouragement and appreciation when the groom read his vows in German to his Swiss-German beauty. Her family was delighted and pride showed on their faces as he declared his love for her in her native tongue. 












 

Every photographer dreams of a bridal session filled with ease. This is what I experienced! There was no rush. Only peace and calm.



The evening wedding celebration was marked by memorable words of gratitude and admiration to the couple, lovely gifts from the father of the bride and a stirring illustration by the bridesmaids to the bride regarding her Swiss-German heritage and relation to Heidi. 




The room was filled with celebration and welcoming songs to the bride. They sang that if ever she should knock on their doors, they would always open their homes and help where they can. 



For me, this day will forever be preserved as a day of beauty, celebration, calm, favour, blessings and where two worlds were joined together.


Happiness

Honored Photographer and Friend.
Zee


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Really liked the picture and the story of Tshidi’s wedding. It’s natural that you felt honored to shoot your close friend’s wedding. I have also been invited to be the wedding photographer at my best friend’s marriage ceremony at one of the amazing New York venues. I too was really glad when my friend first asked me for it.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

ZH Studio

Contact Form