destination wedding How to choose your wedding photographer

Tips On Choosing Your Wedding Photographer

6/01/2016Zelna

1. How do I pick a good photographer when there are hundreds listed?

Choose a photographer based on your style and personality. You want a photographer that captures you, reach deeper and surprise you with images that will tug at your heart. Make sure that you not only look at their portfolio on their website but set up a time to look at a complete photo album.

2. How many photos do I get?

The number is not in question as much as the importance of getting the images that gives expression to your day. You can end up with a 100 beautiful photographs that tells the story of your day.

We never truly use all 300 images it’s the handful that tugs at our heartstrings. However, I do add the number of images you get on my packages :). 




3. I found one photographer whose images look soft, one who uses filters, one whose images look clean, and one whose images look like they were shot on old camera. Why is it all so different?

Every photographer has a different eye and something that speaks to him or her. It’s an art form that shapes their expression. As potential client you have to choose the photographers whose work screams at you.

4. Why is wedding photography so freakin' expensive? 

The reality is that our equipment is so freaking expensive, we end up carrying equipment up to the value of a R100 000 at your event, we splurge on our equipment, we want equipment that works well, fast and capture it beautifully. Beside the fact that our equipment is expensive, we have worked years in the field and we know the value,  if we could, we would do it cheaper.

However it is not just our equipment that helps with capturing a photograph this will be useless without our creative eye, how to compose a photograph and the beauty of post production to give expression of your day. We  work weeks through your wedding photographs. We don’t just work on the day, we spend extra six weeks if not more working on our photographs. It just a matter of us feeling our worth and not creating images out of heaviness and that we are valued for our craft.

5 How can I make sure I look good in my photos?

My mom always said : ‘A bride can wear a potato sack and still look beautiful” I fully believe this to be true.  No doubt you will look beautiful. A happy bride radiates beauty and bliss this is bound to come through in your photographs.

However it is important to hire a photographer that can capture the heart. Your relationship with your photographer is very important it will create an trust that she/he will capture your day beautifully.


6. I keep hearing about "shoot and burn" photography.

This is a unedited image, the photographer shoots the day and burns all your images on a disc. Without adding an expression of your day. Though the photographs are beautiful it leaves out the essence of your day. When we as photographers edit your images we add to it the spirit of the day. We want you to feel the deep emotion we sensed on your day. Hence sometimes we choose to bring a certain colour, filter. This how we know that this shot  will be black and white…

I would not advise you to go for this option, it will leave you frustrated, most photographers wont edit another photographer’s work you will end up with unedited images, which will remain, on your laptop. {sad face}

7. Do I really need a second photographer?

Not really, but having a second shooter allows for different perspective, while the groom kisses the bride the one gets the emotion of the father of the bride, its always nice to capture the emotion. Your photographer will also be more relaxed allow him or her to be creative not just focus on the must have shots.

8. How far in advance should I book a wedding photographer?

As soon as you can and you ready to put down a deposit. As photographers we require a deposit to book your date, this is normally non-refundable.  Most professional photographers are booked in advance. If you do not find your most loved photographer don’t fred ask them to recommend someone to you.





9. Do I have to like my photographer?

Yes, yes, yes and again yes. It’s important that you get along with your photographer, you will see them the first thing in the morning and the rest of the day. They will always be there. You need to have someone around that you like having around. This is why it’s so important to set up a meeting with your photographer. Make sure you have good chemistry and that you trust her in her direction. If you don’t feel comfortable choose another photographer. I know as a photographer I would prefer working with someone I get along with.

A trust in your photographer makes beautiful photographs. Knowing my bride trust me makes it easy for me to see them and capture them.

10. Do you need to eat?

Yes. Most of my weddings the couple provide us a table to sit and eat. I’m also happy to pay for my own seat. If this is not an option, please do tell us and we will make sure that we pack ourselves a lunch.

11. Is there ever shots that you miss?

It’s important that you articulate what you want to be photographed. Make sure that your photographer know the parents of the bridal couple. Honestly, there is shots we miss but we will never tell you, Lol. Unless you ask for that one particular picture, that can easily be due to  time not allowing us or it was not clearly communicated.



12. What else would you like me to know?

q   Choose a good makeup artist, good makeup sets the tone for your photographs for the rest of your life.

q   Don’t worry about not knowing how to pose, a good photographer will be able to guide you into beautiful poses.

q   If you can, Invite me to the rehearsal, this is super helpful when I photograph in churches that has certain requirements – I will know where to stand and the priest can let me know what is expected of me. Being at the rehearsal will also help me to position me correctly to photograph.


13. You say we?

Yes, my assistant and I. I work with an assistant, she carries my bag, make sure your flowers is facing me, makes sure your lips stay pretty, carries what you need her too. Will sometimes go in search of the mother of the bride. Irion a shirt, make sure the groom shirt is tug in, help where she can.  She is my saving grace, my sanity and will be yours too. Keep in mind she is not the second shooter; though she is quite capable of taking a good focused shot.

I hope these questions have helped you in what you should expect, ask or look for in a photographer.

If I’m not the girl for you, its okay, really.  I do hope that you find a photographer that will capture your day beautifully just the way you always imagined it would be.

I pray for long, fruitful prosperous years on your unity.

Much Blessings,

Zee

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

ZH Studio

Contact Form